Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Pledge

How many of us Indians, remember the school pledge?
For some reason, I tried recollecting, but couldn't go beyond 3 lines. Then, I wondered, how many might remember and started asking. After sometime, this curiosity soon became a quest. I conducted a quick survey at work and friends circle. I wanted to identify at least one person who remembers it and publish his/her name here. After a 3 hour hunt and asking about 52 people, there was one...just one. I proudly present her, 'Roopa Sudarshan'!! my buddy and a former NCC cadet! Did she remember it from school or NCC? I didn't probe...But Hats Off to her!

I felt a little ashamed for not remembering it and memorized it up. Though, this is more a test on memory than a test on patriotism, I think it will definitely be nice if everybody can live upto the pledge :-) India would definitely become a better place to live in!

Before you go further, stop and try recollecting...and if you fail, here it is:

India is my country.
All Indians are my brothers and sisters. I love my country, and I am proud of its rich and varied heritage.
I shall always strive to be worthy of it.
I shall give my parents, teachers and all elders respect and treat everyone with courtesy.
To my country and my people, I pledge my devotion.
In their well being and prosperity alone lies my happiness.

Jai Hind!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a small survey we did in 12th standard.

During a mid-term exam, we called each one of the guys and ask him "Anna nagar-la yaaru irukka?".

9 out of 10 replied "AandaLu".

That was the time, when "Anna nagaru aandaLu, ayanavaram gopalu" song was popular.

But this survey is far more significant.

srivat said...

Me too ashamed of it.Inspite of the fact that for 12 years in my school almost everyday we used to orate it, i dont remember it.
But athukaga neenga ippadi solli sitika venam..' I think it will definitely be nice if everybody can live upto the pledge :-)'.

Yadhvi said...

:-) balaji, nalla arivu poorvamana survey! but guess even now people will respond 'AandaLu'

srivat,
yeah it was bad..Mr.Kursi Singh 2 lines sonnaar...idhule 'All Indians are my brothers and sisters, except one' vera!!
About the smiley, it was a feel-good smiley! I seriously think, Prathiba, Stephanie and Sarika would have been saved if the pledge was in the blood

Anonymous said...

Enakkum maRandhu poachu.
BTW neerarum paatu nyabagam irukka?

Vishnu said...

Oops! blame to poor memory.....

Nandri 'makka' nandri.....

Cheers!
:)

Yadhvi said...

ferrari,
neerarum paatu, naan paadinadhe illaiye?!

vishnu,
:-) thoongu moonji, makku! edho thitra madhiriye iruku enaku!!